Felicity

A ‘life fell on me’ post

I have so much to blog about, so many elaborate posts half started, and SO MUCH TO DO.

Life has pretty much fallen on me, and it’s big, and heavy, and all you can see of me are little dreamstress hands and feet sticking out from under it, scrabbling wildly at the ground.  You know how that feels?

So the solution to that is cute Felicity-ness:

Felicity the cat thedreamstress.com

 

She’s not helping me get stuff done.  She thinks that my slippery, wibbly, tricksy, every so carefully layed-out and placed chiffon is the perfect place to lie, and why am I glaring at her like that anyway?

The rather evil bambi fabric is being turned into this, for the HSF pink challenge:

E3178 E3178 late 1920s dress

Excella E3178 late 1920s dress

It’s currently driving me crazy because it is so slippery, and it is almost, but not quite, reversible, so you have to keep careful track of fronts and backs as you work with it, and the pattern is asymmetrical, so everything has to be cut out unfolded.

So that’s my life (wiggles hand goodbye from under it).

17 Comments

    • I figure that a dose of Felicity is always popular, and easy for me to supply!

      I have tried the gelatin thing, but I found it annoying and fiddly and too time consuming to be worth it for projects like this. It’s not hard to work with this fabric, just hard to get it to lay nicely whilst cutting.

    • Isn’t it darling? I’m so madly in love with it that I broke my no-poly rule for it. Gutting that it isn’t rayon though!

  1. Why yes, I do indeed know what you mean about that life falling on you thing. There seems to be a lot of that going around. I hope things calm down a bit and you’re able to catch your breath.

    Love that Felicity cuteness!

  2. I second the idea of gelatin, or perhaps liquid starch as a temporary stabilizer providing your fabric is washable. I used a heavy starch solution when trying to cut out some very slippery silk organdy sleeves a few years ago. It worked wonderfully and rinsed out quite easily when the sleeves were complete. Dissolved wash-away stabiliser can be used the same way if you happen to have some on hand.
    I use little bits of hair styling or masking tape to mark the wrong side top of all my garment pieces when cutting them out. It saves me so much time and aggravation as I used to inevitably put at least one piece in the wrong way and wouldn’t realise it until I was putting in the hem.
    Felicity is a lovely pattern weight.

    • I’ve tried gelatins and liquid starches and find the process more annoying than the fiddly fabric!

      I’ve marked the wrong sides – the problem is that with an asymmetrical vintage pattern there is no right and wrong side to the pattern pieces, so you need to make sure that you cut the right way with every piece, or you end up with a back piece that is the reverse of the front (hard to explain, but think about it for a bit, and the logic becomes obvious).

Comments are closed.