Author: The Dreamstress

Rate the Dress: a Romantic-era recycle mystery dress

Last weeks blue-grey and white late 1870s dress was one of my favourite kinds of Rate the Dresses: one that sparks lots of interesting discussion, quite strong feelings, and hilarious comparisons (personally, I think anything that can be described as Victorian Dalek fancy dress should automatically be¬†a 10 ūüėČ ). ¬†The feelings, while strong, were very mixed – a solid block of very high ratings, an equally solid block of very low ratings, and a lot people who thought it was, ummm…interesting. ¬†Personally I give it an intellectual 10 and an aesthetic 6, but your ratings evened out at 6.3 out of 10 – I guess the aggregate rating was closer to my aesthetic reaction than my intellectual reaction! This week we’re rating a dress has done the rounds on pinterest, but where I unfortunately can’t find the original source. ¬†I generally try not to post Rate the Dresses if I can’t credit the collection, but occasionally breaking that rule, and asking for your help in finding the source, is a good way to locate …

TVEO1, 1900s Edwardian corset thedreamstress.com

Time to be my own hero: adventures in Edwardian corsetmaking

The 1900s ‘Touch of blue’ corset that I made recently was the first 1900s corset that I’ve finished, but it wasn’t the first that I started. (brace yourself for a long post, full of problems!) I’ve had the TVE01 Edwardian corset pattern in my stash since shortly after it came out, but hadn’t gotten around to making it up. ¬†Then Lauren of Wearing History made a gorgeous version of it in green brocade back in March 2014, and I fell in love, pulled out my pattern, and immediately started my own version. I had green on my mind thanks to Lauren’s version, so I picked a silk taffeta in pale spring green, and a midweight¬†herringbone twill cotton for backing and support. Lauren had mentioned that she must have measured wrong, because hers came out quite small. ¬†So I measured very carefully, and checked the pattern very carefully, and was a little generous in picking my size. I flat lined everything, sewed everything together, added stunt bones, and ¬†a stunt lacing strip, and tried on the …

2016: A Sewing Year in Review

It’s that time of year again: the holidays done and dusted, and time to look back at what I accomplished this year, what I didn’t accomplish. 2016 was a weird year. ¬†It was great on a career level (yay, I launched Scroop Patterns!). ¬†And there were some personal/sew-y highlights (Costume College), but it was also a really horrible year on a personal level (things I don’t talk about here…). My goal is to make 2017 even better on a career level (so many Scroop Patterns!). ¬†And I’m going to do everything I can to make it a much better year personally, though I don’t have as much control over that by far, and a lot of my personal¬†grief and heartache of 2016 will continue for a while. It’s also a year that came to an extremely frustrating end: my main working computer crashed catastrophically¬†on the 29th, while¬†I was backing it up: a disaster that appears to have taken both the hard drive, the backup it was doing, and the backup before that, with it (insert …