All posts filed under: Crafty stuff

Modern 18th century pockets thedreamstress.com

Pick a peck of pockets – 18th century pockets for everyday wear

I’m still so excited that we’ve finished the Augusta Stays pattern, and it’s on the market, and have so much I still want to post about it! But I don’t want this blog to become all-Augusta, all the time. So here’s a totally non-Augusta post, catching up on some sewing I did back in October 2017 (eep!). Remember the Levin Medieval Market? I bought some fabulous fabric there, designed by local artist @coppercatkin. It had all sorts of tropical vegetables & spices: taro, tamarind and tumeric, papayas and mangoes. I immediately thought of my parent’s permaculture farm in Hawai’i, and knew exactly what I wanted to do with the fabric. My mum loved the idea of 18th century pockets when I’d posted examples here in various blog posts, and thought they would be perfect for the farm. It’s hard to find clothes that are both cool enough for Hawaii, easy and practical to wear around the farm, and with useful pockets. So portable tie-on pockets like the ones worn in the 18th century would be …

Halloween costume, Fawkes the Phoenix Costume, Harry Potter Hogwarts Costume thedreamstress.com

Fawkes the Phoenix: a Hogwarts Halloween Costume

Happy Halloween everyone! I hope you had a wonderful holiday, with lots of the best parts of Halloween: creativity, community, an awesome Halloween Costume, a little bit of candy, and tons of fun. I’ve never grown out of my love of Halloween, but it’s only recently become a ‘thing’ in New Zealand,  Usually there aren’t many cool events to go to – especially as an adult. This year Zara of Off-grid Chic alerted me to a Haunted Hogwarts party.  Exciting! We decided to be the weird fully-grown women who went along without any kids, in full Halloween costume. Super last minute Halloween costumes!  We’re both incredibly busy! I went closet-diving, and found: the dress I made as my end-of-semester project my first year in Uni; a silk blouse with scalloped edges by NZ designer Blak; my red sequinned Dorothy shoes; and a mask, originally made as a tui by the Comtesse de Chambourd, and re-made by me as a Labyrinth Firey when the paint started flaking off, and bunch of wrist, ankle & neck pieces I’d made for …

Making Bottom Donkey Ears for a Midsummer Nights Dream thedreamstress.com

Making ‘A Midsummer Nights Dream’ donkey ears

I have actually done some costuming! Mr D & I went to a friend ‘Night & Dreams’ themed masquerade birthday ball. I pulled out my Cobwebs & Roses dress for Titania, and Mr D pulled out his tails, and I made him a pair of donkey ears for a Bottom who would sweep Titania off her feet every day of the week. Here’s how I did it: Take one ratty old rabbit fur collar, grey: Chop in half: Fold in half, lining side in, and zig zag: Three cheers for the Janome Sewist 521, pretty much the only >NZ$500 machine that will go through four layers of fur, two layers of collar stiffening, two layers of padding, and lining, plus double that at the ends, without a whisper of complaint: Now assemble the frame and trimmings: Two $2 shop flower garlands, assorted bits of florists wire, florists tape, ears. Denude the headbands of flowers and leaves: Wrap wires around both headbands to hold ears, and insert into ears: Sew ears around frame to secure on: Cover wires …