Back at February’s Fabric-a-Brac I found a length of fantastic heavy black and white basketweave cotton. It immediately said “I would be perfect for a Roll Collar Jacket!”
And it would have been, except there wasn’t quite enough of it. It’s the curse of Fabric-a-Brac. You find the most amazing fabrics, as the most amazing prices and they are always 89.7% as long as they need to be for the project you want to make out of them.
But the fabric was SO perfect for the jacket, that I fiddled and fiddled and managed to get the jacket out of it by cutting the collar across the grainline (just to see if it would work), lining the collar in a different fabric, and by putting a seam across the upper back – which has actually turned into a pretty cool feature.
So I sewed, and then lost motivation, and stuck the jacket in my UFO pile for 5 months, and then fished it out and realised that all it needed was the last bit of hand-sewing on the lining (pink striped silk), and the buttons and domes on the front.
And that’s when I noticed that in switching the collars grainline I’d managed to cut and assemble it so the asymmetrical wrap of the collar was the wrong way around.
So take heart the next time you make your own sewing mistake: not only do really experienced sewers make REALLY DUMB MISTAKES, they even do it on their own patterns.
So now I have two options: wear the jacket with the wide ‘right’ collar end tucked under, and the ‘wrong’ point end out, or wear the jacket man-style, with the left wrapping over the right.
I’ve sewed on domes so I can try the first for now, but I’m not convinced by it. The wider ‘right’ collar end is too bulky under the wrap, and the little pointy end flips up.
So I think I’ll just be wearing the collar with the wrap man-fashion – which is fine, because the whole left over right/right over left divide is so silly anyway.
Other than that, I’m thrilled to have the jacket finished – even if it is just in time for summer! It goes beautifully with everything in my wardrobe.