As you read this I’m on a plane to Hawaii for a long-overdue visit to my family.
I’m currently probably the only passenger awake on the plane, and am hunched over my laptop, glaring furiously at the screen with the same look of intense disgruntlement that Felicity uses when I biff her off my lap after she’s just settled down for a nap*. I’m not the happiest flyer. I’m extremely and carefully polite and courteous to flight attendants and my fellow travellers, but it’s still pretty obvious that my subconscious deeply objects to being stuffed in a tin can for multiple hours.
There will be lots of fun blog posts and photos coming out of the visit, but I’m also going to have limited internet while I’m in the islands, so I won’t be on in person as much as I usually am.
The blog is going to be ticking over with pre-scheduled posts – an awesome mix of history and sewing and fun stuff, and the announcement of an exciting new project (very exciting). Hopefully I’ll also manage an on-the-spot post or two as well!
To start with, here are some of my some of my past blog posts about Hawaii:
- For some vintage fun, a look at a 1930s playsuit with a South Pacific theme.
- And for more vintage fun, 1930s & 40s holiday advertisements for Hawaii.
- A history of Kalaupapa
- And a visit to Kalaupapa part 1, and part 2
- Entry to paradise – the way to my parent’s farm.
* And, since it’s the thing everyone always asks when I travel, Mr D is coming out a week later, and once he joins me Felicity will be left to the tender care and devoted attention of some cat-adoring house-sitters. Lucky Miss Fiss has never had to suffer the indignity of being sent to a cattery. She’ll probably be so spoiled that she’ll be miffed when we come home!
(P.S. Bet you didn’t know Abba did a Hawaii song did you?)