I’m making progress on my romantic historicism 1916 evening gown.
My biggest concern about this gown was how to create a petticoat to support the width of the skirt. The bell-shaped silhouette of 1916 was so high fashion, and lasted for so short a time, that there are very few extent petticoats to use as a guide. There are lots and lots of examples of petticoats to create the more common A-line silhouette, but the bell-shape is harder to source.
There is this wonderful petticoat from a 1917 issue the Paris Journal of Fashion, and it’s on my to-make list, but I think I’m going to need to try a couple of versions to get it right, and I couldn’t find the right fabric.
I was getting a little frantic, and then I realised that the solution to the petticoat puzzle was right under my nose – in my UFO pile.
I’ve had this 1950s petticoat schedule for a re-make for a while. The construction and finishing is beautiful, and the petticoat fits me width-wise, it’s just almost 3″ too short in the bodice, which puts the waist round my ribcage. Ouch!
So, I cut off the bodice, added a side placket, and bound the bodice with bias tape. I want the skirt to sit on my hips, rather than at my natural waist, so it doesn’t add any bulk there.
Once I’m done prepping the petticoat I’ll put pink ribbon through the beading lace on the petticoat.
If you’re thinking that the petticoat doesn’t seem that full, you’re right, but wait until I starch it!
In fact, it’s currently in the washing machine as I write this, getting pre-washed in preparation for starching. Fully starched, it will hopefully do a good job of supporting the lower fullness of the evening dress, and the organza underlining of the upper skirt should create the upper fullness.
Bring on the poof!