I showed a few peeks of my jaunty seaside ensemble in my post on fossil hunting, Edwardian style. Â Â Here’s a detailed look at it.
I couldn’t justify making a whole new outfit for the because I’ve made so many 1910s thing this year. Â But I decided I could spruce up some of the things I already have, and give them a new life.
I love adding new twists to old looks with quick re-makes. Â Sprucing up is totally historically accurate. Â Museums are full of dresses of every era that show evidence of re-making. Â Antique fashion magazines are full of articles on making last seasons looks fresh again.
Remaking and sprucing things up also feels right from an environmental perspective, and as a way of respecting my own work and time. Â Making new costumes that I only wear once would be so wasteful from so many different angles. Â All that fabric and time! Â Much better to make an old thing exciting to wear again.
So, here’s how I made a few old (or at least previously used) things new again.
I’ve wanted a jaunty mid 1910s seaside ensemble for ages:
Who wouldn’t want to look like their only care in the world is not having their hat blow off in the sea breezes!
I didn’t copy any look exactly, but took inspiration from the colour combination of the blue and yellow ensemble, and the pairing of pattern with solid that you see in all of the outfits.
The blouse is the polka dotted seersucker Selina Blouse that appears on the front cover of the pattern. Â I added a yellow silk jabot to it, and will be doing a tutorial on how I did it.
The skirt is from an antique 1910s pattern in my collection, with the addition of the front placket from the Kilbirnie Skirt (this make is very similar to the skirt that comes with the Wearing History 1910s suit, although the amount of flare is different). Â It first appeared on Elisabeth, sans pockets, when she modelled the Selina Blouse.
The pockets are from another pattern. Â Nina recommended pockets for fossil hunting, and while the outfit isn’t super practical, I still wanted it to be a little practical. Â When in doubt, always do pockets!
I picked the pockets because they remind me of ice cream cones and sailboats. Â What better motifs for a day at the seaside!
The skirt is linen, and by the time I took these photos it had gone through two 40 minute car rides on the way to and back from fossil hunting, fossil hunting and lunch at the seaside, and was looking a bit crumpled.
The whole thing is topped off with a rather smashing (if I do say so) new topper.
I looked at a bunch of 1910s fashion plates for the hat, and an article on trimming a hat for a seaside holiday. Â The base shape is a re-shape of a basic straw hat that was both too small, and unattractive. Â I crowdsourced opinions on brim binding and crown ribbons. Â I’m delighted with the result, and will show you it in more detail.
All in all, an excellent re-fashion. Â New pockets, new jabot, new hat, and it’s a completely new look!