20th Century, Sewing

Tackling the UF-pros – a 1930’s evening skirt

As part of my whole “doing the mending, cleaning the house” binge, I have tackled my pile of UF-pros (un-finished projects).

On the top of the pile was the 1930s dress I made as a trial run for my wedding dress (yeah, I’m blogging about that next week – don’t worry!).

The dress had two problems:

  1. It was blush pink georgette, lined in beige.  Not a good idea for someone who is already basically blush pink and beige.
  2. The bodice never fit properly.

Unfortunately, there are no images of the original dress for me to show you what it looked like, or what I looked like in it.  But it needed help.

So, after a go at re-lining the whole dress in a maroon-fuchsia (I just can’t describe the colour right now!) satin, which did improve the whole blush pink and beige problem a bit, but made the bodice fit even worse than it had previously, I chopped off the whole bodice.

Bye-bye bad bodice

Then, I did the worse job ever of stay-stitching along the top of the skirt to keep the bias fabric of the bodice front from warping while I attached a waistband.

Is that pitiful or what?

And then I attached a simple calico (muslin) waistband to the skirt.

It is a nice skirt - but doesn't go with beige!

I indulged myself and did some fancy stitching on the waistband.

Even if no one ever sees them, pretty, quirky details are always a good thing!

To add a bit more colour, I took some leftover satin lining fabric, and fashioned a simple ruched cummerbund to hide the waistband.

Simple ruching

It adds just the right ‘pop’ to the skirt.

Blush and fuchsia look lovely together.

I love the lines of the skirt.

The skirt and sash/cummerbund are finished for now, but I still need to make a 30’s style evening blouse.  I’m thinking of something along the lines of this:


Or this:

Not so pretty, but hey, it's still a great top!

I have a bit of white silk from a kimono lining that will be perfect for the base fabric, and I’m planning to embellish it with big flowers made of the lining satin and the scraps of georgette from the skirt.  They are both synthetic, so will do beautiful ‘melt’ flowers.


  1. What a clever reuse. I love the light over the dark and agree about blush and maroon – it reminds me of guavas and raspberries together. 🙂

  2. Oh! Make the first blouse, with the flowers. Oh oh oh! I’m still new to fabric flowers, I’ll be interested to see the melt technique.

    You’re right, pretty quirky hidden details are the BEST. And those colors are lovely.

Comments are closed.