I took a break from serious sewing and whipped up a ribbon corset. Â And I do mean whipped up – despite the very lackluster pattern and directions, and ribbon that wasn’t the same width as the original, it was super easy to do.
The corset was based on a pattern from Jill Salen’s ‘Corsets: Historical Patterns and Techniques’. Â It dates to 1900. Â The original is in the Fashion Museum, Bath.
The ribbon is a 3″ wide vintage ribbon from Nana’s stash.
Without any planning or forethought, I managed to match the pattern perfectly across the centre front. Â Whoohoo for coincidental wins!
The pattern is a little busy and overwhelming, but I rather like the OTTness of it.
The inside of the corset is not quite as beautiful as my corsets usually are, but it’s still pretty.
I have a confession to make though. Â I finished the backsides of the ribbon with iron-on interfacing, and just trimmed off the edges. Â I know. Â Naughty, naughty me! Â Next time I’ll be good and use real fabric and sew it on.
At least my white on white stitching is as beautiful as usual – even smaller than the machine stitching!
Tomorrow I’ll review the pattern and tell how I made it, to make it easier to make your own.