I realised I can’t call my 1903 straight fronted corset to go with Emily’s dress ‘Emily’s corset’, as I already did another corset for a different (far more fabulous) Emily.
So, I need to have another name for it. And I think I have an idea, inspired by the fabrics I’m using.
The outer fabric is an oyster coloured silk shantung. It’s a gorgeous fabric: almost no slub (the usual shantung problem, which makes it of dubious historical value), and it glows like a pearl.
The story of how I got the fabric is adorable. My mother in law gave it to me, on my birthday, but she stressed that it wasn’t my present (she also gave me something else, all gorgeously wrapped), it was just something she had lying around that she wasn’t using. Why wasn’t it a present? Because that would be like giving me work for my birthday.
Awwww. Hehe. I still haven’t managed to convince my darling MIL that really, I would love getting fabric for every birthday.
The lining fabric was also a sort-of-present. I was cutting out the corset at Mrs C’s house, and didn’t have a fabric I like for a lining. So she let me raid her stash of quilting fabrics. I fell in love with a floral fabric with little rosebuds in the same pink as Emily’s dress.
Isn’t it sweet! It’s reminds me of Sleeping Beauty – it’s all briar roses, waiting to be awakened and open up.
Of course, once I sewed it up I realised what else it looks like.
OMG. I made a camouflage lined corset. A camouflage lined corset to go with the girliest, pinkest, frilliest dress ever.
Obviously, I’m not going to call this the camouflage corset. I’m calling it the briar rose corset (though it could also be the fairy godmother corset courtesy of Mrs C and MIL, except it is turning out to have serious thorns). And I will try to pretend that I never noticed that it hides everything.
Shhhh. Don’t you dare tell!