Well, I love bold stripes, but everything I’m making for the HSF ‘Stripes’ challenge has turned out to be quite subdued stripes; in this case, seersucker.
This dress started out with this pattern, Anne Adams 2653:
How cute is that!
A lovely and kind friend owns the pattern, and let me take a copy in trade for a copy of one of my patterns.
The pattern was perfect, but finding the right fabric for it turned in to an epic production. First I found what I thought was the perfect fabric: a geometric broderie anglaise that was both sweet and Art Deco-y. I bought four metres, rushed home, compared it to the pattern, and realised the broderie anglaise openwork would clash horribly with the pleats and neck yoke. Grrrrr! Next, I found the perfect blue and white striped cotton poplin in my stash but unfortunately I had less than half what the pattern said I would need in fabric – even if I did a contrast yoke, sleeves and pockets. Grrrrr! Then I realised I had a really cute blue and white polka dotted fabric, but I hate wearing polka dots to vintage events, because it seems so cliche. Grrrrr! Finally, I went fabric shopping, drove the friends I was shopping with crazy comparing robins egg blue linen and white linen and blue and white stripes before finding this yellow and white seersucker.
Then there was the drama of finding buttons to match. I’d originally pictured them in red, but on the seersucker they looked to primary and kindergarten-ish. Dark blue was too abrupt, yellow too matchy-matchy, white too subtle and boring. Then an epiphany: I had the amazing lagoon blue suede 30s/40s inspired platform sandals I’d let myself buy as an indulgence earlier in the summer. What about lagoon blue/aqua buttons?
A hunt through the Wellington haberdasheries revealed that aqua buttons are REALLY hard to find, but I persevered and unearthed these darling deco inspired beauties:
I’d originally been looking for darker, more subdued buttons, but the shop staff convinced me I should go all the way, and I like the way the motif on the buttons evokes stripes.
Unfortunately an aqua belt buckle was too big an ask, and I had to get creative with the belt.
I wore the not-quite-finished frock (I still needed to perfect the belt) to Art Deco weekend, and loved it, and got tons of compliments on it, and was extremely comfortable in it.
With the friend who gave me a copy of the pattern:
With a swing dancing friend who I insisted pose with me because his braces (suspenders) matched my shoes and buttons. I so overwhelmed him with excitement about his braces that he sold them to me just to get rid of me. I guess Mr D needs to do a photoshoot with me now 😉
And then I found something awesomer than braces to match my outfit: a whole tent in lagoon blue and white! With striped deck chairs!
Unfortunately I couldn’t find a vintage car that was the perfect match:
Love this dress!
After Art Deco weekend the dress came home and sat in my closet while I turned the house upside down looking for the extra fabric in which to make the perfect belt. Luckily I located it just in time for this challenge, so tomorrow I’ll show you the finished, finished Sherbet Stripes frock and all the construction details.